Newprint is a Canadian company and a family-owned business with a long, multi-generational printing history. We began as an offset printing company in 1990 serving businesses and organizations in the National Capital Region. While we continue to provide printing services in Ottawa, we have since expanded to serve clients throughout Canada and beyond. We are proud to be a printing services provider to a wide range of clients across North America. As a qualified supplier to various government departments, we have implemented meticulous quality control measures. We use these same measures for all of our clients, from non-profit to public and private companies. One of our goals is to create innovative products and unique solutions for our customers. We use tools from Esko’s and EFI’s catalogue of programs to help streamline and expedite this process, as well as equipment from Heidelberg and Xerox to deliver a finished product.
We are looking for a skilled and experienced Senior Prepress technicians to set the foundation for successful printing production. The chosen individual must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills and be able to deal with a variety of people and personalities; understands and displays high levels of internal and external customer service. He/She must also have an advanced understanding of printing theory including digital imposition, trapping, bleed, overprinting, screen ruling & angles, substrate characteristics, color separation, and color theory.
Daily Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work with electronic, customer-supplied art files making advanced color, text, and digital image corrections to assure proper format, appearance, and layout
- Prepares die lines and templates based on technical specifications for various custom branded packaging products
- Uses advanced proofing and prototype techniques to product mock-ups for internal and external use
- Follows standard operating procedures for template layout, typesetting, copy changes, digital image corrections, color separation, trapping, stepping, and ripping to produce print-ready optimized art files to meet customer expectations
- Verifies quality of layout prints, proofs, and files by evaluating spelling, content, legal compliance, and prepress standards
- Partners with supervisor to develop solutions for complex orders
- Partners with Technical Services to support development of new products and technologies. Carries forward introduction of new products through training and documentation within the Graphics department
- Supports Manufacturing press-side when troubleshooting
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphics or a related field, or a combination of Associate’s Degree education and experience demonstrating advanced proficiency
- Minimum 6 years (Ten years preferred) Prepress experience in the printing industry.
- Advanced proficiency with graphics industry standard applications including Illustrator and Photoshop components of Adobe CC, Automation Engine, Microsoft Office applications, and Macintosh and Windows platforms
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of printing theory
- Possess excellent interpersonal communication skills